Thursday, May 14, 2015

Saddening Learning Day

Today is the second to last day that we're here. What. What. Seriously?? That's so crazy. The time (luckily/unluckily) flew by... I'll be happy to get home, relax, and sleep, but I'm not ready to be finished exploring this country.

We began the day with breakfast and a quick ride over (for the last time) to UEF. We had cultural class and language class. The culture class was actually very interesting, and we learned a lot about dualism, yin yang, and sexuality in art and symbols. The man giving the presentation was actually really funny, and he laughed at himself and the uncomfortable situations he created a lot. It was much better than language class. It's not that I mind language class, but I absolutely dislike the woman that teaches this class. Her voice is so high pitched, and she slams a ruler against the desk to get us to quiet down. It's completely unnecessary, and for this reason, I don't feel the need to try to do well for her. With Spanish classes that I took in high school, I always loved my teachers and wanted to do well for them, but it's difficult to motivate myself when the language is already tough and the personal problems I have with the teacher get in my way. (I'm sorry for saying all of this. She's a kind woman, but I personally can't stand it.) She put us in groups to translate different phrases that we all clearly know at this point as a sort of competition, and I am happy with the amount of language I learned in such a short period of time. I can recognize a lot of words, but I certainly have issues with the pronunciations. In between the two classes, I was happy to get my last ca phe sua da which slightly alleviated the pain of language class.

After class, we went to Kent canteen to get lunch which I thought was pretty good, and we all took a bunch of pictures out on the patio. It was a beautiful day, and I'm finally getting used to the weather.

We then traveled onto the pagoda that we did not go to on Tuesday. It was absolutely beautiful. The pagoda has a long history, but most people will connect it to the remains of the self immolated monk were brought to the pagoda in 1963.

After the pagoda, we walked down the street to where the Buddhist monks protested the South Vietnamese government which was supported by the US. There was a beautiful memorial, and I was thoroughly impressed with the metal story board behind it of the protest.


We then walked to the War Remnants Museum. This was the most depressing part of the day. The museum used to be called Museum of American War Crimes. Even though the name changed multiple times, I think this name I mentioned was more fitting. They freely displayed seized American tanks, weaponry, helicopters, and airplanes, and described pictures and other remnants of Americans are terrible humans. They said that they targeted women, children, and civilians, and tortured many people unnecessarily. Though it was horrible, I think it is somewhat unfair to say. So many people have forgiven everything that has happened in the past, and though numerous families suffered, it feels like these Vietnamese former places of war continue to show Vietnamese as innocent victims of the war. Don't mistake what I'm saying, I think there was so much suffering especially on the Vietnamese side, but I genuinely dislike how much hatred exists in the museum when Americans generally try to stay unbiased and remember the lives lost. The museum was full of photographs, soldier weapons, soldier clothing, pieces of weaponry, and information about the protests against America around the world, after effects from Agent Orange, and after effects on the economy, society, and environment. It was insanely heartbreaking to see the photographs and videos of human bodies, lives lost, and complete destruction. (To anyone that has been to Auschwitz or Birkenau, it had a very similar feeling in the air for me. I have a hard time not feeling something in the pit of my stomach when there was so much sadness.) I was very ready to leave after seeing the torture camps and execution weaponry.

I had to take a nice long shower to get the images out of my head. Honestly, I'm not glad that I went, but I did learn a lot about the war that I had no idea of before. I think a lot of the Vietnamese suffering is hidden in the American depiction of the Vietnam War, but I am not sure if I would have liked to see all of that in a text book when I was in sixth grade like I did with WWI and WWII. Some things I think are better censored a little. I loved the Buddhist pagoda. That is all.

I think Kate is going to take us out for noodles and some sort of nightlife fun tonight. I'm looking forward to a little pick me up before we leave Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment