Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Learn some words and Lay Low

Today was just kind of a tough day, and it ended with me sleeping at five in the evening, Ahkil asking if I wanted to dinner, and me falling back asleep.

We began the day at breakfast, and I already wasn't feeling that well. I tried to eat according to the routine, but I still felt sick. Apparently I wasn't the only one who was feeling down. A few people stayed behind or ended up getting sick. I pushed myself a little, admittedly, but I really wanted to go to what I could.

I went to classes, the rural development presentation and another language class. The rural development class was boring, but I did get a lot out of it. I finally learned that there is resistance to the government, but it is highly censored. I was happy about this that people do actually care what's going on in their lives. It would be devastating for the government to just tell me everything that I had to do and have to put a smile on my face to do it. (Just a personal opinion. Americans: the government could be worse. Again, just a personal opinion.) After the rural development, we had language class. I like that I am learning words, and I can read the words that I know, I just can't say them!! This is frustrating, but I'm still trying as per usual.

After classes, we went to lunch. It was really good today, and I ate despite some stomach pain. There were chicken drumsticks, fried shrimp, and really well-made vegetables. I felt sick afterward but continued anyways.

We went to the US Consulate to meet with the principal director of commerce for Vietnam. His presentation was interesting, but he seemed very proud of his work. He told us all about himself, and then he talked about how companies use the US government provided service to expand internationally. A lot of franchises like KFC and Starbucks need the governments help to break ground in Vietnam and then ask to have agreement clauses pulled away that were enacted by the Vietnamese government in order to save money. Apparently South Vietnam is easier to build a successful franchise in, and North Vietnam is still not accepting of Westerners. This is mostly the old-school thought that is still prevalent in the government in capital of Hanoi. It was interesting to hear and uncensored version of what's actually going on. I know listening to these presentations is hard for me to take because there is a whole other side to the story that I would want to hear, but that side of the story is not allowed to be told.

After visiting with the consulate, I was definitely not feeling well, and then began the walk back to the hotel. It was very hot but reassuring that we are learning where everything is because we made it back by ourselves!! After a quick trip to the co-op, I came back, took a shower, and ended up sleeping for the rest of the evening until 3:30 am. They came to ask if we wanted to go eat, but my roommates and I were just feeling staying in and continuing sleeping. I think everyone else went to get noodles and coffee, but I was happy to stay in and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment