Wednesday, May 13, 2015

FOOoo...ooOOD

Today was a delicious day to be alive. We began our Vietnamese adventures in a slightly different way beginning with pho for breakfast and then leaving the hotel at 9:45 am instead of 8:30 as per usual. (Thanks D Berm for the awesome break; It was much needed.) We ventured to a nearby 5 star hotel for what we thought would be a simple cooking class. We were luckily very wrong. At the hotel, we first toured the garden and pool area outside, which was beautiful and surprisingly serene even though it was right above the busy streets.


Then, we received a lesson in Vietnamese cooking. They taught us to make Spring Rolls (rice paper, shrimp, lettuce, Vietnamese basil and cilantro, and bean sprouts) and Egg Rolls (ground pork and two types of Vietnamese mushrooms). It was more difficult than I had anticipated as the rice paper needed a specific amount of water to be rehydrated but not floppy or sticky. Mine ended up being sticky because I didn't want a soggy spring roll. The egg rolls were so much easier because they did not involve rice paper, and I personally found them more delicious.

 

















Speaking of delicious... Did I mention that we ate lunch at the buffet? It brought a tear to many people's eyes. I was too busy tasting everything to care. There was a sushi bar, the best clam chowder ever, kielbasa, garlic bread, random breads, assorted cheeses, multiple fruits (some drenched in wine), pasta, raw clams and mussels, fried whole fish filled with caviar, fried whole shrimps, traditional noodles and rice, tandoori chicken, steamed fish, fried chicken, etc. because the list could literally go on forever... And that was just real food. Then there was dessert. So much dessert: Bailey cake, apple crumble, ice cream, panacotta, mango cake, coffee cake, pecan pie, flan, chocolate cake, pistachio cake, giant solid chocolate bars (Yes, giant. Yes, solid chocolate.), etc. because the list could literally go on forever... Again. It was absolutely delicious, and it was the first meal to me that was kind of normal. I really enjoyed it, and there was so much. I was very happy and so was everyone else until we had to leave.


 




















We went to a site visit to Saigon Newport Corporation, a shipping company that works with the navy to receive and send goods across oceans and domestically. Honestly, I did not understand the woman's accent who gave the briefing, but the video was informative. I thought it was interesting to be able to work alongside the navy for something that seems so profitable. We got a tour of the control tower and the ship yard but missed our time slot for a walking tour of the grounds. After we left, many people rushed off back to the Ben Thanh market, but Arielle and I had a wonderful little adventure to find a pharmacy for her stuffy nose. I was very proud of us for not getting run over. Seriously, the roads are so scary, and the people honestly don't care if they run you over. After the pharmacy, we stopped in a toy store which was fun and kind of creepy.






















After this, we went back to the hotel, and Kate and Allen found me and dragged me out into the nightlife. I was glad to not stay in but also happy to be away from the huge group. We went to a few shops to look for gifts for Allen's loved ones (since I am personally done shopping and bargaining) at stores that looked a lot like hippie dippie wannabe stores in America. They were pretty and in a strange location, but it was nice to have time to relax and not feel rushed. After this, we were so hungry and wanted to try Korean food but didn't find the menu appetizing. We ended up eating at and Udon Noodle and Tempura restaurant. Absolutely no regrets. It was completely delicious, and I had tempura okra and sweet potato which were both strange and yummy. Of course, Kate wanted peach tea (and I of course had no objections to this). When we got back, I was exhausted, but I went to retrieve my suit that apparently was delivered earlier than expected. It was a scrumptious day, but I am not looking forward to more language class tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment