Thursday, May 7, 2015

Buddha and a Glass Egg

This morning was very difficult to wake up...

Since yesterday was a good relaxing day, I woke up very early in the morning. I went back to sleep fortunately but wasn't sure if I would have another off day or a better day than before. Lucky, it turned out to be a good day. I tried to stay really conservative with breakfast and just ate some fruit and dimseng (little dumplings filled with shrimp). After breakfast, I got a preview of the fabrics for the suits. I'm really excited to get a suit because... where else can I get a suit for $100 USD?

We went to the Emerald Pagoda. Let me tell you: It was beautiful. It reminded me of Anya's room with the incense and the relaxed feeling and plants everywhere. (Shout out to you girl- I miss you!) It was a Buddhist Pagoda, and insanely ornate. The turtles and fish of course were of interest as well.





















After a quick trip for delicious cafe suda (spelled the Spanish way since it's the same phrase in Vietnamese for iced coffee), we went to class, and today's lesson was on Culture of Vietnam. It was interesting to hear about the different meanings of certain things and cultural interpretations across boarders and within the country, but it was a little hard for me to understand the professor's accent. To add on to the cultural learnings, we had a cultural invitation to try some fruit called rambutam. It's very similar to a litchi, and so so sweet.

After the class, we went to lunch, and it was an interesting spread today. Of highest importance? Mangoes. The fruits is undyingly sweet and delicious. I guess the heat in the area makes the fruit more flavorful. Anyway, I've never had such amazing mangoes ever.

After mangoes, we went back to the hotel to change and go to Glass Egg Digital Media. Besides the amazing views from the 16th and 17th floor of the building, the work they do at Glass Egg is insanely impressive. We watched 200 artists work on random projects of cars, motorcycles, racetracks, etc. The detail involved is so small, but it really makes all the difference. The company has interesting roots: The CEO was a refugee from South Vietnam who lived in California starting at age twelve, and he eventually came back to Vietnam. The other CEO was originally from Virginia and went to Pennsylvania University. He just chased the dream in a sense. I hope to be like that and not let anything hold me back.



After Glass Egg, we arrived back to the hotel, and we received a visit from the tailor. I decided on a dark grey suit with both pants and a skirt. I'm hoping it's professional and will last a while!

Tonight, we are going with Kate and Co. to Korean Barbeque (you cook it yourself) and to Lush, the night club that is owned by Glass Egg. It's all about the experience, aye?

In other news, I trapped a huuuuuuuge cockroach in a box and then proceeded to scream like a girl (or boy, cuz who wouldn't scream) while Beth and Arielle tried to unstick the door to the balcony. Thanks, Jeff for helping a few damsels in distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment