Sunday, May 3, 2015

Day 1...and 2? What day is it???

I honestly have no idea what time it is... or what day it is.

We began our journey at 6:15 on Saturday, May 2. The first plane ride to Chicago wasn't bad. We tried to find Chicago style pizza (unsuccessful) before our transpacific 15 hour flight to Ho Chi Minh City. The plane ride went as well as expected. It was kind of cramped, of course, but the food was less than satisfying. It's not like expected much anyways. I tried to sleep here and there, but every time I looked at the map of our projected path, it never seemed to change. I watched a tear jerker, "Love, Rosie" and an action movie, "Kingsmen" on the flight over. Not much excitement can be reported from these circumstances.

In Hong Kong, we had about four hours to ourselves, so we walked around the mall area of the airport and grabbed some food. It was really interesting how the food looked similar to how I imagine it would from street vendors, full-bodied ducks and saliva-driving pictures of the menu. I ordered dumplings because I wasn't feeling too adventurous.

It was just annoying to have to take another plane, even if it was only for two hours, to get to Ho Chi Minh City. It was like, "We've come this far. So why aren't we there yet!" Fortunately, I took a little cat nap and the food was a bit better. I blame Americans for having terrible airplane food. (If ever, in my professional life, get a chance to talk to the food service industry in airplanes, I'd seriously like to see their faces upon receiving a terrible little meal. Gone are the days of lobsters and steak.)

Obviously, you can tell my mind is on food a lot. It's not that I'm starving, I'm just very excited to get my hands on some actual good Asian food. We've all been building up excitement about it.

We arrived at the airport, and of course it was hot and humid, as promised. The bus ride was short and sweet, and it smelled of grandma's house. We got to the hotel and promptly went to our room. I'm in the room with Danielle and Beth, which is the only girl's room of three. We all took our showers, and 37 hours of travel but about 48 hours later, we're excited to sleep with our heads on a pillow instead of a jittery wall or a strangers shoulder.

Tomorrow begins at 8:30 am officially!

No comments:

Post a Comment